Let’s get one thing straight right away…this is not your grandma’s fruitcake. The recipe is actually my Grandma’s fruitcake cookie recipe. But I’ve adjusted it to use entirely organic ingredients instead of those weird jelly-like fruits you find in most fruitcakes.
I use all organic ingredients from Whole Foods but you can make substitutions as needed based on what you have available. These fruitcake cookies use pineapple and cranberries but you could also add candied pear, orange peel, apricots, or any other dried fruit you desire. I may even try a batch this year using some apples I dehydrated this fall.
Organic Fruitcake Cookies
This old family recipe was updated to use real fruit instead of jelly-like candied fruits. A lightly sweet delight that can be made entirely with organic ingredients. Traditionally a Christmas cookie but can be enjoyed throughout the year.
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 2 cups candied pineapple
- 3 cups pecans
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- Chop cranberries, pineapple, and pecans into small pieces, set aside
- Cream together butter and sugar
- Add cinnamon and blend
- Add one egg at a time beating between each egg
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda
- Add flour mixture a little at a time blending as you add it
- Stir in cranberries, pineapple, and pecans until blended
- Spoon onto cookie sheet in two inch balls, (a cookie scoop works perfect for this) spaced 2 inches apart
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until cookies begin to slightly brown
- Can use walnuts instead of pecans
- Can substitute eggs for vegetable oil or apple sauce for a vegetarian option
- If mixture is too dry and crumbly, add an additional egg or 1 Tbsp canola oil until the mixture sticks together
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g